When painting your home, there are a number of paint types and colors to choose from. It can make an already difficult task even more difficult when you have so many options. To help you choose the right paint for your home, it's important to know everything you need to know about paint. Read on for information about the different paint types and other information to help you get your home painted.
Types Of Paint
- Flat. Flat paint has no shine to it at all. It can be touched up without being too noticeable, but it doesn't clean up as well as other types of paint. Flat paint is best used in low-traffic areas in your home (places less likely to have fingerprints or scuff marks), or on ceilings throughout your home.
- Satin. Satin paint has a soft appearance, but not too soft like flat paint is. It's easy to clean and washable, so it's good for areas where you have more traffic. It's also a good paint for a bathroom, or in other areas where moisture is present.
- Semi-Gloss. Semi-gloss has more shine than satin, but not as much as high-gloss paint. It's good for high-traffic areas and is very easy to keep clean. It can be used in any room of your home.
- High-Gloss. High-gloss paint is not suitable for walls; it's best suited for baseboards, doors and trim work. It's easy to keep clean but it's very shiny and reflective. It can easily show fingerprints or smudges on walls, but it can all be cleaned or wiped away.
Once you have the right type of paint for your walls, trim, doors and ceilings squared away, you can choose your colors. When choosing colors, there are a few things to remember to help keep your home from looking like a hodge-podge.
- Keep It Neutral. Keep your colors neutral to help match any decor you choose. This way you can change your decorative style and not have to repaint your home all over again. Neutral colors can also help when you're going to sell your home, as the new homeowner might not have to repaint.
- Use Muted Shades. Unless you're painting a child's bedroom, don't paint your home with bright colors. If you prefer to use colors, use colors that have muted shades instead that aren't too bright.
- Lighten It Up. Darker colors can make rooms appear smaller. Use lighter colors to give rooms an airy and larger feel.
When painting your home, choose the right type of paint and the right paint colors as well. You can consult a professional painter from a construction painting company in your area for help with choosing paint and have them do the painting for you as well.